Although many homeowners enjoy the challenge of DIY projects, there are some aspects of home maintenance that should always be handled by a certified professional. Among these, one of the most important is troubleshooting electrical issues. Here are five reasons you should never try to fix an electrical issue on your own and should instead call in a qualified electrician such as one at Rooham Electric.
- Electrical work can be unsafe if you are inexperienced | The first and most important reason to avoid tackling electrical projects on your own is to keep yourself and your family safe. Electricity can be extremely dangerous. If you aren’t properly trained and equipped to work with it, and you could be risking serious injury or even death by trying to fix electrical problems yourself.
- You could cause further damage | In addition to safety risks, electrical work can cause property damage when done improperly. From shorted circuits to potential electrical fires, work performed by a non-professional can cause all manner of trouble. To ensure your home stays in top condition, it’s best to let a qualified professional handle your wiring.
- A professional will save you a lot of time! | Many people try to do electrical projects on their own to save money. While hiring an electrician does involve labor costs, it’s important to consider what your own time is worth as well. A project that might take an experienced electrician one hour could take you several, preventing you from getting more important things accomplished.
- Unprofessional electrical work may make your home harder to sell | While you usually don’t think much about the wiring in your home, work that has been done by a non-professional may raise some red flags with a home inspector when it comes time to sell your house. By having all of your wiring done by a certified electrician, you can keep your property value high and prevent difficulties if and when you decide to sell.
- You could have trouble with your insurance | Depending on the nature of the work and the terms of your homeowners insurance, you may lose coverage in the event of future electrical damage if you try to tackle projects on your own. Many insurance companies refuse to cover anything related to electrical work that has not been done by a certified professional.
For these reasons and many more, you should always call in a certified electrician when you need electrical work done in your home. While there are many projects around the house that are suitable for DIY, electrical work should always be handled by a trained professional, such as one of our certified team members. Give us a call today to speak about your electrical needs.